Valentine’s Day weekend is the perfect day to think about kisses and romance. So on the blog today and tomorrow, it’s all about the smooch! First up, let’s talk about the perfect kissy locations! Many thanks to Janet McLaren, my favorite travel agent, for putting together this top-10 list for getting the perfect kiss pic!
Here’s how to get them of you and YOUR sweetie:
- On the back deck of a cruise ship. Position yourselves so that you get the wake of the ship in the shot. Works well with a clear sky, interesting clouds, or a sunset. Better yet if your kiss is over a couple of glasses of champagne!
- Near an iconic structure. A classic fave is from Warsaw Square in Paris with the Eiffel Tower in the background! The Leaning Tower of Pisa is also a great example, because there’s a grassy lawn in front of it with plenty of space for crafting the perfect romantic backdrop.
- On a gondola ride in Venice. Get two shots — one with the city and canal behind you, and one with your gondolier in his jaunty striped shirt. I know it sounds “touristy,” but trust me on this one!
- In front of a waterfall. Really, just about any one will do, but may I suggest Niagara Falls? It’s big enough to create a wow! moment and a very splashy photo.
- Near an iconic bridge. Probably nowhere is as glam as the Golden Gate Bridge framing the glory of San Francisco (drive to View Vista Point on the north side), but other famous bridges like the Brooklyn Bridge, Tower Bridge in London, or Liberty Bridge in Budapest are equally romance-inducing.
- In a colorful field of tulips. If you can’t make it to The Netherlands for this one, try a tulip festival near home! My faves are the Skagit Valley Tulip Festival outside of Mt. Vernon, Washington; the Wooden Shoe Tulip Festival of Woodburn, Oregon, and the miles of tulip fields ablaze during Holland, Michigan’s famous Tulip Time festival (May 1-9 this year, but skip the crowds and go the week after).
- At the swim-up bar of a swanky all-inclusive beach resort. Order some fancy cocktails then have someone photograph your toast to romance! Be sure they get some palm trees in the background for maximum romantic effect.
- From the beach as the sun is setting. “Sunset beaches” are the best beaches! Think Panama City Beach, Florida (or really, about anywhere on the Florida Gulf Coast); Puerto Vallarta, Mexico; or Kaanapali Beach, Maui. If you’re in Hawaii, don’t forget your leis!
- In front of a showy fountain. If you can get there early enough to beat the crowds, then there’s no fountain as romantic as Trevi Fountain in Rome. Another lovely spot that happens to offer a variety of background options is the Raices Fountain in San Juan, Puerto Rico — I remember helping a couple there once with some fun off-angled pix (don’t be afraid to play around with your poses). And if you’re ever in Mazatlan, Mexico, don’t miss the dancing dolphins fountain on the waterfront!
- Up in the mountains. America is full of scenic wonders that make for dazzling romantic pix! Think Aspen, Colorado; Tucson, Arizona; Stowe, Vermont; and just about any of our fabulous national parks. Pro tips: if you’re at the Grand Canyon do not stand too close to the edge; and in Yellowstone stay away from the bison, they really hate getting their pictures taken with tourists.
If you need more romantic travel ideas, Janet can fix you up! 866-592-7351 | 972-231-0066 | firstname.lastname@example.org | www.cruiseplanforyou.com
All right now, don’t be shy! Tell us about your favorite smoochy spot!